Monkey Bread Recipe
Here we will offer you two options to make your Monkey Bread Recipe. The easy method uses rolls of refrigerator biscuits. This is a quick substitute when you don't have time to prepare the dough or need a quick dessert. Kids will love to help with this recipe.
Easy Monkey Bread
4 cans refrigerator biscuits
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup raisins
Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Cut each biscuit into quarters; roll in sugar and cinnamon mixture; place 1 layer in bottom of a greased tube pan, then sprinkle with some raisins and nuts. Then add another layer of biscuits, raisins and nuts, until all is used. In saucepan, place butter and brown sugar; heat until full boil. Pour over biscuits. Bake at 350 degrees F. about 1 hour or until brown on top. - The Carroll County Farm Museum Cook Book (donated by Deborah Newhouse)
Note: You can make this without the raisins or nuts, or both, and it is still delicious.
Homemade dough Monkey Bread Recipe
Prepare refrigerator dough below and use for monkey bread recipe, or dinner rolls. Dough can be kept 2-3 days in refrigerator until you are ready to use.
1 c. hot water
1 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. shortening
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 pkg. dry yeast
2 Tbsp. lukewarm water
3 1/2-4 c. sifted flour
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until shortening is melted and salt and sugar dissolved. Cool to lukewarm or until a little of mixture dropped on inside of wrist feels almost cool.
2. Sprinkle yeast in 2 tablespoons lukewarm water; let stand 5-10 minutes until thoroughly dissolved; stir up; stir into shortening mixture.
3. Break eggs into small bowl; beat well; add to shortening mixture.
4. Add 2 cups flour; beat well with spoon; slowly stir in rest of flour or enough to make dough easy to handle, not sticky.
5. Grease top of dough with salad oil; cover tightly with waxed paper and damp towel; store in refrigerator. Use dough at once or keep 2-3 days in refrigerator. Dampen towel as it dries. Punch down if it rises too close to top of bowl.
6. In using dough, cut off only as much as is needed, returning rest to refrigerator, covered. Shape rolls. (Or, make your monkey bread recipe as described in the above recipe.)
To Make Rolls:
1. Brush rolls with melted butter or margarine. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (80°-85°) until double in bulk.
2. Bake rolls in 425 degrees F. oven 12-15 minutes or until done.
3. Remove from oven; brush with salad oil, butter or margarine; turn out on wire rack to cool. Makes about 18 rolls.
To make Monkey Bread Recipe:
Use your homemade refrigerator dough instead of the store bought canned refrigerator biscuits and follow the recipe for Easy Monkey Bread. When you get to step six above, shape dough into small balls (so that when they double in size, they will be about the size of quartered biscuits) Place on wax paper or cookie sheet and let rise to double in size. (time it takes will depend on if you are using the dough right away or taking it from the refrigerator to use. Cold dough takes longer to rise) Then arrange in pan and add other ingredients as listed in the above Monkey Bread Recipe. Yum! Yum!
Add To Favorites